留学生在完成assignment时，常常需要用到各种否定的表达，很多同学由于词汇匮乏，谈到否定，就想到no, not 这类词。但是实际上，还有很多种方法可以表达否定的意思。有时候仅仅只是文字的不同，就可以让一个简单句变成一个让人欲罢不能的高级句型。
- 前缀 a-，dis-，il-，im-，ir-，un-，non-，anti-，mal-，under- 等
- 后缀 -less，-free，-proof 等
no, not, never, none, nobody, nothing, nowhere, neither, nor, neither…nor, but, without, unless, but for, but that, hardly, scarcely, barely, little, few, seldom, in the absence of, regardless of, instead of, exclusive of, short of, rather than, anything but, any more than, out of the question, would no more…than
- Few people have ever seen him get out of that house. 几乎没什么人看见他从那间屋子里出来过。
- I can hardly read the original without a dictionary. 不借助于词典我简直看不懂原著。
- People rarely see this kind of plant in blossom. 人们几乎没有见到过这种植物开花。
Hardly can I read the original without a dictionary.
too…to…, before, only that, other than, would rather (sooner)…than…, had rather (sooner)…than…, prefer…rather than (to ) …, would as soon…as…, let alone…
- The news is obviously too good to be true. 这个消息太好了，显然不可能是真的。
- I’ll discuss with you before I accept your terms. 在我和你讨论之前，我不会接受你的条件。
- Only that you assured me it was so, I should not believeit. 要不是你向我保证，我才不会相信呢。
- The truth is quite other than what you thought.事实和你想象的很不一样。
- I would rather read than chat away mytime. 我宁可看书而不愿意浪费时间聊天。
- He cannot speak French, let alone write a letter in it.他不会说法语，更谈不上用法语写信了。
avoid, ban, call off, cancel， deny, deprive, exclude, escape, evade, forbid, free…from, free from/of, fail, hate, ignore, lack, lose, miss, naught, neglect, prohibit, quit, refuse, rid, rule out, stop，prevent, keep, hinder, protect, save, dissuade 等
- The door simply refused to open.门根本就打不开。
- The error of calculation escaped the accountant. 会计没有注意到这一计算错误。
- He ignored the whole speech of the schoolmaster. 他根本就没有听校长的讲话。
- The boy tried by every means to avoid being caught by his father. 那孩子想方设法不让父亲逮住他。
- He failed to come to the appointed place on time. 他未能准时到达约定的地点。
- They excluded children from getting in. 他们不让孩子们进去。
- Such a chance was denied me. 我未能得到这样的机会。
- The news media were barred from the conference. 没有让记者们采访这次会议。
They are new to the work. 他们不熟悉这一工作。
The lake is free of ice even is winter. 就是冬天这个湖也不结冰。
That was a poor (thin) argument. 那个论点站不住脚。
Most students were absent from school at least once. 至少大部分学生有一次缺课。
The president resigned and the post was left vacant. 主席辞职后，职位一直空缺。
Children are left unattended in the countryside with their parents working in central cities. 父母在城里打工，农村的留守儿童无人照顾。
We all know he is strange to compliment of any kind. 我们都知道他任何恭维话都不爱听。
He thought he had got a mortal illness. 他曾以为自己得了不治之症。
The new teacher really had an open mind. 新来的老师确实没有偏见。
The road is now clear of snow. 路上现在已经没有积雪了。
She apparently thought otherwise. 她显然有不同的想法。
The office is the last place to find him in. 你绝不会在办公室找到他。
- debate / controversy/ dispute（无可辩驳）
- one’s grasp or conception（不可理解）
- all comparison（不能相比）
- breath （喘不过气来）
- date / style / fashion（过时）
- above suspicion （无可怀疑）
- beneath criticism（不值得批评）
- beneath notice（不值一提）
- beside the mark（文不对题）
- far from satisfaction（差强人意）
- past repair（无法修补）
- past all belief（不可思议）
- off one’s mind （不放在心上）
- off colour（精神不好）
- off record（请勿记录）
- out of reach（力不能及）
- The basic right of animals should not be ignored.
The basic right of animals should be valued/ protected.
- The protection of animal rights is of paramount importance.
Many scientists fail to respect the basic right of animals.
- Animals should never be experimented upon whatever the potential gain for humanity.
Never should animals be experimented upon whatever the potential gain for humanity.
- Animal testing should be strictly banned for whatever the potential gain for humanity.
Animals should be free of the cruelty scientists expose them to because they have just as much sentient as humans do.
- Millions of animals should be saved before it’s too late.
Without experiments on living animals, scientists cannot find effective treatment to some diseases like cancer and ADIS.
- Without experiments on living animals, hardly can scientists find effective treatment to some diseases like cancer and ADIS.
Without experiments on living animals, scientists may have difficulties in finding effective treatment to some diseases like cancer and ADIS.
Without experiments on living animals, scientists may struggle to find effective treatment to some diseases like cancer and ADIS.